Welcome to our website !

Summertime Reading

By 3:27 PM , , , , ,

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” 

When I was younger I never read as many books as some of my other friends as I was, and still am, a slow reader. For me, part of the pleasure of reading is re-reading. Going back over sentences that moved me or a paragraph I found confusing and meticulously untangling the words. This being the case I got through fewer books, so that when my friends had finished the Harry Potter series, I was only considering picking up The Philosopher's Stone. Don't get me wrong I love reading, the way you become immersed in another world and befriend the characters. Therefore, I have decided that this summer I am going to attempt to read one book per week. So far I am on schedule: week two, book two. 

I didn't set out with the intention of reviewing the books I read, but it seems to be a good idea to keep me motivated to finish them on time and in order to share what I have enjoyed reading. The first book I have completed this summer is 'Life After Life' by Kate Atkinson. I absolutely loved this book! It is based upon the theological concept that you live your life over and over until you finally achieve your 'destiny'. I love books that make me think about our existence and Atkinson does this in a very touching, realistic way.

Currently, I am a third of the way through Eduardo Mendoza's 'An Englishman in Madrid'. I picked up this book due to the fact it is about an art historian (my area of study at university) in Madrid in 1936. This novel encompasses Velázquez, the Spanish civil war and a funny sense of affinity with the rather out-of-place Englishman. Mendoza's writing is also spectacular in his ability to make you feel as though you are walking down the bitterly cold streets of a city on the brink of revolution.  

Upcoming books in my reading list include 'Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt, Dante's 'Inferno' (for university mainly, and partly interest) and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee. My list grows daily and I know if I pop into Waterstone's I will end up with several more books to add to my collection. These books are all (so far) paperback copies. I do have a Kindle, however I much prefer the feel and smell of real books. An awaiting Kindle read for me is Gillian Flynn's 'Gone Girl', which I would like to read this summer as well. 

I love book recommendations and hearing what other people are reading (I'm quite nosy) - leave me a comment letting me know what you have got your teeth stuck into at the moment. 


Cara 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nothing beats the smell and feel of a real book~ ♡
    Have you read anything from Rainbow Rowell? I like her books so much! Highly recommend 'Eleanor And Park' & 'Fangirl' !

    ieyra h | babysoulz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't, thank you for the recommendation though! Will check out her stuff, book recommendations are the best :)

      Delete